Apprenticeship training is a form of post-secondary education that combines paid, work-based training (about 80% of training), with technical training in a classroom or shop setting (about 20% of training). Successful completion of both components, along with examinations, is required to earn a certificate or ticket, and become a certified tradesperson. In school technical training typically ranges from 4 to 10 weeks per year depending on the trade and takes approximately four years on average to complete.
To find Apprenticeship training programs available at BC's public post-secondary institutions in your chosen trade, click here.
If you are an ITA-registered Apprentice planning to attend your next level of in-class technical training, you may qualify for Provincial Apprentice Financial Supports and Employment Insurance while you are in school!
Please note that these supports are intended to assist apprentices with costs in certain areas but will NOT cover full expenses incurred as a result of training (see chart below for further details). Also, please be aware that there is NO coverage of tuition costs for apprentices.
The following chart explains the potential areas of support for clients with needs in these areas, however for full details on all financial incentives available to apprentices and their employers please visit this link.
Apprentice Supports Eligibility Criteria
- You are a registered apprentice with the Industry Training Authority (ITA).
- If you are not sure if you are registered, or if you do not know your Trade Worker ID number, please contact the ITA Customer Service Department at 778.328.8700.
- You are registered to attend an ITA-approved apprentice program at an ITA-accredited training institution ***Please note that Trades Foundation courses and Co-op Programs are NOT eligible.
- If you are not sure that your course or school are eligible, please contact your training institution directly to enquire.
- You are eligible for Employment Insurance (EI)
- If you are unsure whether you qualify for EI, please contact Service Canada at 1.800.206.7218.
Please contact our Apprentice Toll Free Hotline for more information: 1.844.292.3008.
Useful Links for Apprentices
- Apprentice FAQ
- Steps to apply for Apprentice Financial Supports in the Online Portal
- Video instructions for applying for Apprentice Financial Supports in the Online Portal
- Instructions for retrieving your Apprentice EI Reference Code